Thursday, June 10, 2010

A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Bank...


So it came. I picked up the mail on Tuesday and a thin envelope greeted me inside the dusty box. I eagerly opened the letter and was pleased to read that included with the letter was a cheque reimbursing me for the product as "at Lancome, we pride ourselves on our high standard of quality and we always take comments from our consumers very seriously."

I was pretty happy to get the cheque though they did not include to postage cost for shipping the product in the first place but I still felt it was a small victory for me and my thighs!

I had a meeting that evening and afterwards I thought I would stop by the bank to deposit the cheque. It was about 9pm and the bank parking lot was empty. Just as I was opening my car door I was approached by a clean-shaven guy close to 30 years of age. He was talking fast and had caught completely off-guard. It was pretty intimidating actually considering that I was alone with this smooth-talking fellow. Anyway, he had this great story about how he was stranded in Peterborough and could I help him out?

Did I have misgivings? Yes. Was I thinking clearly? Probably not. Did I get conned out of $40 of my Lancome money. Yup. I'm a bleeding heart I guess and I should have known better but I gave him the money with the promise from the dude that he would pay me back a few days later. He gave me his phone number and took down my home number and off he went.

Today was the day he was supposed to call and I forgot all about it but something triggered my memory. I tried the number he left and of course it was out of service. I feel like a fool for being so trusting and hoping for the best.

I'll be more prepared next time to trust my gut next time I am approached by an "Adam Johnson" and tell him to f*^#k off, I've already met you...

No comments:

Post a Comment